Re: A thought on Windows Experience

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: A thought on Windows Experience
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2013 09:04:37 +0000

On Mon, 2013-12-09 at 00:10 +0100, Federico Bruni wrote:
> 2013/12/5 Richard Shann <address@hidden>
>         The Denemo windows and mac binaries have LilyPond built in.
>         Not sure
>         about the GNU/Linux one.
>

> I would bet that it's not built in.

I just checked, and the GNU/Linux one does in fact have lilypond built
in. (It is not surprising - once you have got GUB working you are not
going to start unpicking the installer to give the user more to do)

> In debian lilypond is recommended, it's not a dependency of denemo:
>

> $ apt-cache depends denemo | grep lilypond
>   Recommends: lilypond

This is nothing to do with these Denemo binaries (or the LilyPond ones
either), these binaries are just user programs - another user cannot
even execute them without the original installer changing the
permissions.
They don't affect your system stability and so on for that reason - the
cost is disk space, you have copies under your home directory of many
libraries and executables that you have already installed in the system.
Indeed if you use the LilyPond installer as well (and point Denemo to
use that) you will have e.g. three versions of ghostscript, one
in /usr/bin one in ~/lilypond/usr/bin and one in ~/denemo/usr/bin

Richard