Re: A thought on Windows Experience

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: A thought on Windows Experience
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2013 16:52:32 +0100

Joseph Rushton Wakeling <address@hidden> writes:

> On 06/12/13 00:47, Mark Stephen Mrotek wrote:
>> Since I am not a programmer, I am not sure why, yet when I double click a
>> .ly file in Windows 7 Frescobaldi opens (rapidly) and displays the code.
>
> I would imagine that when you install Frescobaldi, it updates the
> Windows file config such that Frescobaldi becomes the default program
> with which to open files with the .ly extension.
>
> That _will_ be quick, because it's just opening a text file in a
> specialized text editor.

The last time I thought that was when I wanted to compare how much worse
Emacs fared when using it for working on LaTeX files compared to a
specialized simple text editor called Kile or something.

Emacs hit in at over 16MB with my current work session (granted,
containing quite more than just a LaTeX file).

Then I started Kile and it swallowed about 90MB of memory, mostly
because it pulled in half a dozen libraries and demons, getting those
KDE parts up that it needed for operation.

Don't underestimate specialized simple text editors.

--
David Kastrup