Re: engraving comparisons and other "promotional" materials

From: Carl Peterson
Subject: Re: engraving comparisons and other "promotional" materials
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 11:01:43 -0500

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 10:47 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
Carl Peterson <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 10:30 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> So any extension announced after the death of an author should
>> not apply to the works of an author who labored under different
>> assumptions when creating the work.
>>

> +1
>
> Indeed. That said, if a work is in the public domain, it's in the public
> domain.

<URL:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_law_of_the_European_Union#Duration_of_protection>

[...] This provision had the effect of restoring the copyrights in
certain works which had entered the public domain in countries with
shorter copyright terms.[23]

Well, that just defies common logic. But that's government and bureaucracy for you.

I think my original parenthetical statement---older is better---applies here. It would be much harder to restore copyright all the way back to Canon in D, the Brandenburg Concertos, or Moonlight Sonata, would it not?