Re: promoting LilyPond

From: Joseph Rushton Wakeling
Subject: Re: promoting LilyPond
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2013 09:49:57 +0100

On 03/12/13 22:47, David Kastrup wrote:
You are aware that the Sibelius development team has been laid off due
to financial problems of their parent company in spite of Sibelius
having a paying market and turning a profit?

Yes, fully. But there is still _a_ Sibelius development team, there is still commercial support and maintenance available, etc. etc. The worries are obvious, but only time will tell how damaging this really is to the software.

Well, you can't lay them off, and you can't prohibit them from
continuing to work on their software like the original authors of
Sibelius who have no right to do anything with the sources written by
themselves any more.

And you can't prohibit anybody else from working on LilyPond in order to
meet a company's needs.

You should not take my words as an endorsement of non-free software, merely a recognition of the factors that many users take into account. Whether or not we like it, there is a general perception that commercially-backed software (whatever the licence) is in general more viable and future-proof than volunteer-driven efforts.

Yes, the processes of contribution-based free software "break" in different ways to the processes of commercial proprietary software -- there are different risks and different benefits. But the fact is, someone using Sibelius now does not have to worry about the product being discontinued. Even if Avid decided to discontinue the product, its userbase, brand value and commercial viability would mean that someone would step in to buy it.

By contrast, I do worry about what happens to Lilypond if for example you find yourself indisposed. I think we can all agree it would be a severe blow. :-)

No question about that.  I think a necessary step would be to move to
GUILE2 first because the costs and tradeoffs of refactoring stuff
between C++ and Scheme will be different, so this is more or less a
prerequisite to make decisions and be able to factor in their costs.

Makes sense to me.