Re: Supporting my work on LilyPond financially

From: SoundsFromSound
Subject: Re: Supporting my work on LilyPond financially
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2013 10:16:32 -0800 (PST)

Kieren MacMillan wrote
>> How does that compare to their reaction to Lilypond?  I would guess
>> amazement at how much Lilypond gets right, but frustration with how
>> relatively complicated it is to enter a score and see the results?  And
>> probably overwhelming frustration when they hit the point of wanting to
>> tweak something?
>
> Exactly.
> Kieren.

For what it's worth, I was a user of Sibelius since 2000, and Finale since
2001. I recently switched completely to LilyPond for all of my
archival-quality engravings [master copies] and I am very happy with my
decision. Personally, I was a bit overwhelmed at first with this whole "text
input" concept, but I stuck with it and now I can't believe how much of a
boost my workflow has seen because of LilyPond. Not to mention how my
compositions look now on the page. Who knows if they sound good, but at
least they look good. :)

I hope you guys don't "abandon" the idea of text input because it may be
daunting to some who are making the switch as I have, for engraving. At the
risk of sounding uber-cliché, I really am in awe of the power of LilyPond
and how beautiful my scores look once they are printed. It has that nice
old-school hand-engraved vibe that I dig. :) And text input allows for some
crazy-powerful tweaking and the OCD in me is beyond happy with the
possibilities.

I do still find myself having to use Finale every now and then for projects
that require it [paid clients, school gigs, etc.], but I would say the
biggest selling point for me was "seeing" the score as a finished product.
What a feeling. It makes the learning curve worth it, imho.

The biggest complaint I've heard from many of my peers (when it comes to
possibly switching from Finale/Sibelius) is that "LilyPond looks like way
too much work" and "Text input?? That makes absolutely no sense for music.
You're not writing a book! It's a score!".

Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to share my thoughts as a working
composer and "power-user" of Finale and Sibelius who has since switched to
LilyPond for his personal portfolio. I'm always happy to help grow the
LilyPond community.

Have a nice weekend!

Ben

-----