Re: Frescobaldi Preview Modes

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: Frescobaldi Preview Modes
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 10:52:49 -0700 (PDT)

David Kastrup wrote
> "De-bug" means removing bugs.

I agree with David here.  Having bugs implies something is broken and
doesn't work, not just that the layout is not exactly what you'd want (which
is always somewhat subjective).

"Janek Warchol wrote
> Note that what we're talking about here is not debugging lilypond code,
> but debugging LilyPond's layout decisions, by seeing how they are made.

Yes, but I don't think most people would make this distinction, and it might
be confusing.  Is this mode for debugging Frescobaldi?, or LilyPond?, or...?
I think for most people debugging is something that's done with software,
but not something you do with the content of the files created with that
software.

(And if the user needs to "debug" their files it probably doesn't reflect
well on the software that created them.)

I think "inspect" is clearer with less potential for confusion.  (Although
if later it becomes possible to drag control points with a mouse then it
seems you will have gone beyond "inspecting" to "editing" or "advanced
editing" or... ?)

Just my thoughts FWIW,
-Paul