Re: voice two but yet stems up towards end of piece with addlyrics

From: Robin Bannister
Subject: Re: voice two but yet stems up towards end of piece with addlyrics
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 12:20:44 +0200

Annette Kusma wrote:
 Is this a bug or am I missing something?

The example you supplied did not run without errors. You didn't mention these errors, so my impression is that you are missing the error reports contained in the log file.

Lilypond specifically mentions having trouble with \addlyrics:
warning: cannot find Voice `uniqueContext1'
This does not help you directly but it shows that Lilypond agrees with you that something is wrong.

A search for this warning might have led to the user archive thread http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2007-08/msg00070.html Here they are referring to the docs for version 2.10.

The docs for version 2.12 warns about this limitation, just above the section "Working with lyrics and variables" in the Notation Reference http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond/index#index

The command \addlyrics cannot handle polyphony settings.

So \addlyrics may guess right if it is used once, e.g just in BasCTwo. But it is not meant for anything more complicated. This aspect is handled in more detail in the 2.14 docs. (N.B. later Lilypond versions have better docs!)

For an idea how to organise things using \lyricsto instead see http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=362 This is for version 2.14 but it works for version 2.12 too.

Cheers, Robin