Re: midi (and ONLY! midi) transposing

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: midi (and ONLY! midi) transposing
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 17:03:41 +0200

Bric <address@hidden> writes:

> Although, I must say: it's an awful choice of markup words, given the
> semantics at play:
>
> "\transpose" to change written pitch

Not just written pitch.  Everything.

> and
>
> "\transposition" to change the audible, midi pitch

No, to specify the transposition of an instrument.  That's nothing that
you can change.

> because they are noun- and verb-form variants of the same word, and
> the noun versus verb distinction somehow aligns with the audio versus
> visual distinction ... doesn't seem congruent or intiutive
>
> (I did find the "transpose" command earlier, and realized it wasn't
> changing the pitch — only the written.)

It changes the audible pitch _along_ with the written pitch.  At least
if we are talking 2.17.13 or later (cf issue 754 in the tracker
<URL:http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=754>).

The behavior before that was plain nuts.  There were usage patterns
based on this behavior, but nobody really understood why they worked,
and when and how they broke down.

--
David Kastrup