Re: Mandatory or a cautionary accidental?

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Mandatory or a cautionary accidental?
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 10:42:55 +0200

Am 22.10.2013 10:33, schrieb Simon Bailey:
On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 10:12 AM, Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:
thanks for your opinion.
Obviously it boils down to the statement that leaving the reminder sharp for
the gis' is impractical/impolite but not wrong.
i think david actually made the statement exactly the other way
around. omitting the reminder sharp may confuse a musician, especially
with a forced natural at the beginning of the bar.

Rereading David's post I realize I haven't completely understood him yet.
First he says it's mandatory then cautionary, responding to different parts of my message.
So obviously I'm still not really clear about it.

See the actual situation in the attached image. The gis' is on the third
beat in the lower voice of the right hand.
It is clear to me that there _has_ to be a sharp, the question is only if it
will be a cautionary or a mandatory accidental.
And resulting from your opinions I will make it a cautionary one.
this is a case where i'd normally play a gis, then realise there's a
natural at the beginning of the measure, then become confused and then
try to work out what's correct from situational analysis.

Exactly, and there's also the natural in the vocal line, which makes it even more confusing.

that's not
conducive to sight-reading (not that i could even think of playing
this on a piano, i'm a monophonic trombone guy). when i'm typesetting,
i follow the sight-reading rule: if it _could_ be confusing, then add
cautionary accidentals (in parentheses). i've sat in a rehearsal where
the polite cautionary (non-parenthetical) accidentals really confused
the guy sat next to me -- he started playing fisis in a d major
passage, because the fis had a mandatory accidental. when the error of
his ways was pointed out to him, he ranted about the engraver and
crossed out all forced accidentals in his part... (which gave us more
problems further down the line, but that's a different story).

i always try to get parts which are as least confusing as possible.
when re-engraving, this may mean moving away from how it was
originally engraved, making the typesetting work somewhat more
editorial (why else would we be re-engraving though?).

Actually I _do_ have the editor's hat and not the engraver's on in this situation.
As a performer I know that I want a sharp in that place.
But as an editor I have to decide whether I am adding a cautionary accidental or whether I am 'correcting an error' of the original edition ;-)

BTW we decided to use cautionary accidentals _without_ parentheses in this edition, because
a) the original edition did so too
b) we are heavily modifying the OE's decision in this respect which would
c) result in a score completely flooded with parentheses, which wouldn't help _anyone_.
When we add missing mandatory accidentals they are parenthesized, however.
We know this differs from general practice, but anything else would be soo ugly - and of course we have documented it sufficiently.

Best
Urs

the best reward
is when musicians can play on-sight, without any questions occurring.
be nice to your musicians with the music, and they'll be nice to your
music. :)

regards,
sb