Re: New, more powerful version of \shape!

From: Jan-Peter Voigt
Subject: Re: New, more powerful version of \shape!
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 09:54:30 +0200

Hi all,

while I am not that active with lilypond these days (distracted from family and work ;) ), I'd like to be ...
just my opinion on this topic:
How can lilypond create the publication-quality slurs I or whoever wants?
Yes, of course there is always room for making it better ... but IMO we need "shape" and similar functions, because most times there are more than one optimal shape. Technically lilypond may calculate what looks best in terms of the predefined rules - but that may fit 19th century piano-music best, but might not be optimal for 21th cent. choral-music ... or whatever.

So I appreciate the afford of making shape more intuitive to use.

Best, Jan-Peter

Am 18.10.13 08:50, schrieb David Kastrup:
>\shape is an awesome function, indispensable for creating
>publication-quality slurs. However, after using it 1107 times in a
>recent project (this number is not a joke!),
Well, it should be.  It means that our slur shaping and quanting is
apparently not doing its job.