Re: Lyrics to hymn - new user

From: Carl Peterson
Subject: Re: Lyrics to hymn - new user
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 21:46:28 -0400

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 6:54 PM, Garrett McGilvray <address@hidden> wrote:

And thanks also to the several who gave their thoughts to whether I should reply to all. This is indeed a very helpful community of people. I'm coming from a background in occasional usage of Finale, and although it seems weird to move away from "the real thing" (a very expensive app I paid for) for this free and text-based solution, the truth is that I'm finding that the results are just better and require a lot less fighting to get right, and all that thanks to a community of people who are doing it out of the goodness of their hearts. Thanks to all: those who program, support, and contribute to LilyPond and Frescobaldi, and to the community of helpful users.

Regarding "a lot less fighting to get right," I am acquainted with a number of people who have been involved in publishing hymnals with shape notes. I constantly see them talking about all the work arounds to make shape note stems work correctly, to get the spacing right, etc., etc. My comment is always, "Or you could just use LilyPond." In talking with one person who does a lot of hymn setting in Finale. He says it takes him at least an hour to set a hymn and get it right and fix all the quirks of Finale. With my template system, most hymns take me 1/2 an hour at most, and probably 85% of that is music input, 10% of it is linking the template files together, and 5% of that is fixing input errors.