Re: ugly bar line when changing line-count

From: Gilberto Agostinho
Subject: Re: ugly bar line when changing line-count
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 15:04:58 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Elize,

Thank you very much for your answer. I had a look on your code, and here is
what I think about these issues:

- indeed most of these things are easily corrected with some sort of
tweaking, but I believe that (at least some of them) should be automatic.
Let's go case by case.

- I already spoke about the issue in the first example in your code named
"corrected bar-line". I still believe that the bar line should cover all
five lines (or the largest number of lines, such as in this code:
barlines.ly <http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n152207/barlines.ly>

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n152207/barlines.png>

- In your second example "adding a time signature", you seem to have missed
my point. I am able to add a time signature, the problem is that the time
signature makes a mess with the line-count. Have a look on your own example,
note that the 3/4 is in between a clash of the old 5 lines against the new 2
lines. This looks just plain wrong and it shouldn't behave like this. In my
opinion, this is clearly a bug. Here is an image:

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n152207/timesig.png>

- 3rd example: no problems here; as I mentioned before, accidentals do not
cause any problem unless the line-count happens in the middle of a measure,
like your last example.

- Finally, the last example "with accidentals inside the measure" requires a
kind of a hack by using the \bar "". It works well, but my point is: why
would the automatic case leave the accidental in the previous line-count,
when this behavior is clearly not desirable? Would anyone really wish to
have the accidentals printed in a different line-count?

Thank you once again for your help and your comments,
Gilberto