Re: [Schikkers-List]: demo feedback

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: [Schikkers-List]: demo feedback
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 10:02:04 +0200

Paul Morris writes:

> Nice progress on Schikkers list!  It seems like it is coming along
> well.

Thank you!  Now all I need is more hackers and users/people giving
feedback, like you :-)

> One thing that is counter-intuitive (maybe you're already aware of
> this), is that selecting a different note duration from the palette
> changes the currently selected note.  My expectation was that it would
> only apply to newly entered notes, and that to change an
> already-entered note to a new duration, I would have to click on it
> again.

That's an interesting suggestion!  This does make sense, I'll have
to think about this; even better, we could experiment.

The current behaviour kind of matches the keyboard entry.  If you
start from a fresh document and with focus in the GUI type

   <space>b8

then the first

   <space>: produces a copy of the first c4
   b: changes that second c4 to a b4
   8: changes that b4 to an b8
   etc

If instead of typing the last `8' you would click the duration button
of 8, wouldn't you expect it to change immediately?

Possibly this keyboard entry method is also clumsy and we may want
to get rid of it altogether.  Currently, I have disabled text entry
in the text area, but I'm working on a ly parser there.

> Also, I prefer having the LilyPond text box below the staff instead of
> side-by-side, since that would provide more horizontal space for
> viewing the staff.

Ok.  That makes sense.

Have you noticed that you can make the ly-text view narrower and
notation view wider, by dragging the middle dividing line to the right?

Currently, there is only this sort of "piano-roll"-eske view, but I'm
working on full page views.  That seems to work better with the text on
the right.  Possibly we could swap right or below depending on the view.
What do you think?

> I noticed an audio bug where a note would repeatedly play for some
> reason.  (using Chrome 27)

Can you provide me with a `recipe' of how I can reproduce it?

> Ok, those are just a few thoughts for your consideration.  Great work
> so far!

Thanks very much for the feedback!

Greetings, Jan

Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | AvatarĀ®  http://AvatarAcademy.nl