Re: Refrain Hymn Setting

From: Carl Peterson
Subject: Re: Refrain Hymn Setting
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 20:00:11 -0400

My approach to handling parts for hymn settings is to define the music for the verses and chorus independently and then apply nested simultaneous and sequential voices. So, for instance,

\score { <<
    \new Staff = "top" {
    << \new Voice = "sopRef" { \sopRefrainNotes } \new Voice = "altRef" { \altRefrainNotes } >>
    << \new Voice = "sopVrs" { \sopVerseNotes } \new Voice = "altVrs" { \altVerseNotes } >>
    }

    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "sopRef" { \refrainLyrics }
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "sopVrs" { \verseLyrics }

    \new Staff = "bottom" {
    << \new Voice = "tenRef" { \tenRefrainNotes } \new Voice = "basRef" { \basRefrainNotes } >>
    << \new Voice = "tenVrs" { \tenVerseNotes } \new Voice = "basVrs" { \basVerseNotes } >>
    }
>> }

What this does is define the music in the score block according to the hymn structure. This is a simplified version of the score block I actually use for my hymn settings. I have an extra layer of complexity because I define bars, breaks, rehearsal marks ("CHORUS," "D.C. al Fine," etc.) in a separate voice and I use the part combiner functions with these individual voices hidden so that I can still hook lyrics on them.

Cheers,
Carl