Re: feature request: abs-fontsize available for all text grobs

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: feature request: abs-fontsize available for all text grobs
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2013 11:12:01 +0200

Jan-Peter Voigt <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 01.08.2013 15:40, schrieb David Kastrup:
>>
>>> AFAICS the font-size is absolute, but there seems to be a calculation
>>> inaccuracy of 0.1pt.
>> Does the patch in
>> <URL:http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=3483> help?
>>
> a quick test, after building lilypond including this patch still shows
> 41,9pt.

Rats.

> So there still seems to be an inaccuracy - maybe its a float very near
> 42 that is rounded/truncated/whatever to a tenth pt number while
> importing the PDF.

The metrics according to Pango appear to be in 0.1pt increments.  If we
are talking about PostScript/TeX point confusion, 42pt are 41.84bp, so
that would be _just_ short of 41.9bp after rounding.  I would not rule
it out as a source of the problem (particularly if Pango has to round to
get into its 0.1pt scale, and back again), but I am somewhat sceptical
nevertheless.

The main question is likely whether we now get consistent results from
LilyPond: Kieren reported inconsistent sizes depending on how the
absolute font size was arrived at.

--
David Kastrup