Re: Comparing LilyPond with Sibelius, Finale, Musescore etc

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Comparing LilyPond with Sibelius, Finale, Musescore etc
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 09:19:17 +0100

Thank you -

The comparison with LilyPond is now up on the Denemo website:

http://denemo.org/compareSibelius

altogether, these examples (not selected to favor LilyPond, chosen by
MuseScore and at random from IMSLP) show the benefit of not trying to
typeset note-by-note as the music is entered.
This method of comparison is not robust against manipulation, however:
Sibelius and Finale could take extra care typesetting when importing
music, but my guess is that they haven't bothered.
If anyone would like to hand enter some of that music to see if the
MusicXML import is doing anything fancy that would be good (but a lot of
work, of course, else you wouldn't be reading here :) )

Richard