Re: stylesheets, defaults, and other in-Pond-erables

From: David Rogers
Subject: Re: stylesheets, defaults, and other in-Pond-erables
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 23:51:45 -0700

> Hello all,
>
> I'm going full-bore on getting some of my scores re-engraved in the
> next month or so. (They tend to be cram-engraved under pressure for
> the premiere, and then never returned to due to the next commission on
> the docket…)
>
> As a result, I'm hoping to break out a series of stylesheets (or
> stylesheet sets):
>     instrument (e.g., violin) solo
>     piano solo
>     piano + vocal
>     piano + solo instrument
>     organ solo
>     instrumental ensemble (e.g., piano quartet)
>     chorus a cappella
>     orchestra
>     orchestra + chorus
>
> I would love for the fruits of my labour to benefit the Lilypond
> community, in the sense that some of the overrides might become
> defaults, and the other files might be presented as a package of
> easily-included templates/files distributed with (or nearby) the
> application/binary/docs.
>
> To that end, I'm hoping to get suggestions about particular scores in
> the above categories which the Lilypond community would consider
> benchmarks.  We used to claim to use Barenreiter as the benchmark, so
> I suppose that might be the place to start?  Any references would be
> greatly appreciated.

What kinds of things would it be helpful to make sure such benchmark
scores include? Is this simply a call for "the best-looking scores in
existence, for each category", or is there more to it than that? (For
example, is it helpful to have music that's difficult for Lilypond to
set, or would that just be a distraction?)

--
David R