Re:8 marking on piano piece

From: Peter Toye
Subject: Re:8 marking on piano piece
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 09:42:44 +0100

Phil,

In addition to the comments from Kieren and David, I should point out that the "8" sign is ambiguous. Some composers use it to add the lower octave (as here), others to play an octave lower (Debussy's Cathedrale Engloutie is an example), and you have to work out which one is meant, usually on musical grounds or parallel passages. If you look at the two settings of "hope nor love" in this song, you'll see that RVW (or the publisher) has used both notations, which makes it easy to work out what's needed.

But I'm a bit worried that you're setting the Songs of Travel at all. RVW died in 1958 and is still in copyright, at least in the UK (I don't know where you are). At any normal rate, the time taken to typeset it worth far more than buying a copy from a shop! Of course, a programmer is someone who spends a week programming something to save himself 5 minutes.

Regards,

Peter
mailto:address@hidden
www.ptoye.com