Re: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 10:01:23 +0200

Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 26.06.2013 02:10, schrieb Hilary Snaden:
>>>>
>>> Gentium Book Basic is pretty much the same weight as Lilypond's default
>>> Century Schoolbook, but considerably tighter. Gentium Plus is tighter
>>> again but slightly lighter in weight.
>>
>> I tried Gentium Book Basic, but after a while something about it
>> increasingly irritated me.
> I had also tried it out. Gentium has a quite strong individual style,
> and it is a style that I just didn't like for my scores. Don't know if
> that's just a matter of personal taste or if text fonts in scores
> should generally be somewhat less obtrusive.

It's a general thing I guess as they need to blend with basic material
of a graphical nature.

In my opinion, you would not want individual angles and flourishes.  It
would seem reasonable to have reasonable weight on the central text axis
rather than a serif-heavy approach since words get spread across the
page and sometimes syllables are just slightly spread apart, so you
don't want serif gaps become a prominent feature of the font.

Someone mentioned Computer Modern, but I don't think the rather scale-
and resolution-dependent way in which hairlines are used for letter
shaping against the leading would lend itself greatly for that kind of
application.

--
David Kastrup