Re: quotes and commas in lyrics

From: Carl Peterson
Subject: Re: quotes and commas in lyrics
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 10:57:00 -0400

And I wrote the response before I'd had any caffeine for the day, so I didn't pick up that Gerard specifically wanted "Some-day", instead of "Some-day,"

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 10:23 AM, Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Carl,

> "\"Some" -- "day,\"" is grammatically correct. Commas and periods usually go inside the quotation mark, but other punctuation marks only if they are part of the actual quotation.

Actually, that depends on the style guide being used by the particular publication, and regional conventions.
In the U.S., punctuation inside the quotes is almost universal, but in the U.K. and Canada, punctuation outside the quotes — often kerned to be slightly tighter — is a very common practice.

Cheers,
Kieren.