Re: picking up/down symbols in flatpicking guitar

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: picking up/down symbols in flatpicking guitar
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 06:33:20 +0200

Hi Harm

thanks for reviewing the snippet

2013/6/9 Thomas Morley <address@hidden>
2013/6/8 Thomas Morley <address@hidden>:

> If I have more time I take a look.

Hi Federico,

there's one point not clear to me:
What does \arrUp mean regarding the strike-direction?

As an example I use a chord (see attached png)
Striking a chord
1.) from the lowest pitch up to the topmost or
2.) the opposite?

I remember seeing both in printed editions.
>From your coding I believe you mean 2.), though I'd vote always for 1.)
Maybe it might be good to clearify it with an amended example.

Yes, I mean 2.
Think it visually, it's not related  to pitches but just direction of the strikes: if flatpick is moving up, e.g. from first to second string, I need an arrow up.
All the flatpicking scores I have use this notation.

It's not really important for the sense of the snippet, which shows
how to create/use such arrows, though I was puzzled.

Btw, is it correct that the last two notes of your example have the
same strike-direction?

If I understand well the rationale behind crosspicking¹,  the direction of the strike depends on which string is the following note.
So you are free to pick the last note as you wish... I decided to keep the "natural" direction.

Is it more clear now?

¹ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crosspicking