Re: Frecobaldi 2 Mac OS X install guide

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: Frecobaldi 2 Mac OS X install guide
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 19:13:26 -0500

On May 27, 2013, at 11:48 AM, Paul Morris wrote:
> flup2 wrote
>> I don't "install" it like a Unix program. I just expand the archive in the
>> Applications folder. That way, the path to frescobaldi binary looks like:
>> /Applications/frescobaldi/frescobaldi (the first "frescobaldi is the
>> folder name, the second one is the binary itself).
>
> I've added more explanation of this to the wiki page, along with some other
> minor edits and typo fixes:
> https://github.com/wbsoft/frescobaldi/wiki/Frescobaldi-Mac-OS-X-install-guide

Installing Frescobaldi remains one of the singularly frustrating interludes of
my computing life.  I cannot figure out how anyone gets a damned thing done
using Linux/BSD with all the asinine dependency issues, even with package
managers.  Installing any piece of software is a voyage of the damned rather
than a simple download and double-click to launch.

Despite installing Python, QT4, a bunch of dependencies that don't even make
sense, and every other doggone item on the list of things to install and
configure, Frescobaldi still cannot connect to Poppler so that I can
conveniently see the rendered PDF file.  The crux of the matter finally seems
to be the unholy alliance that is SIP:

[tim ~/Desktop/Downloads/python-poppler-qt4-0.16.3]$ python setup.py build
running build
running build_ext
building 'popplerqt4' extension
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin/sip -I
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/share/sip -t POPPLER_V0_20_0
-c build/temp.macosx-10.6-intel-2.7 -b
build/temp.macosx-10.6-intel-2.7/poppler-qt4.sbf -I
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/share/sip/PyQt4 -x VendorID
-t WS_MACX -x PyQt_NoPrintRangeBug -t Qt_4_8_0 -x Py_v3 -g poppler-qt4.sip
sip: Deprecation warning: poppler-qt4.sip:1: %Module version number should be
specified using the 'version' argument
sip: Unable to find file "QtCore/QtCoremod.sip"
error: command '/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin/sip'
failed with exit status 1

Anyone got a recommendation to fix this?  It would be greatly appreciated.

Tim