Re: Revised 'plain text' essay

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Revised 'plain text' essay
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2013 19:30:39 +0200

Hi,
once again with a link instead of an attachment ...
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49478835/plaintextworkflows.pdf

Am 05.06.2013 14:58, schrieb Urs Liska:
Hi all,

it took quite some more time than hoped, but now I've completely rewritten my 'plain text' essay that I had posted for review some time ago.
My revision is based upon your feedback, the preparation of a concrete presentation for fellow musicologists, and the feedback from that occasion.

I think it is much better now, having dumped a certain kind of schoolbook-like systematic development. It is now organized for the perspective of the potential user group, and as far as I can tell it is considerably more concise. Oddly enough it isn't shorter at all, just the contrary ...

There still are a few TODO-markers in it, but I'd like to present it already for any feedback you can afford (so I can incorporate it _before_ having closed the document ...).

Apart from your general opinion (and maybe some of the red TODOs) I'm specifically interested in a few topics:

- The unwritten last section should provide links to reference material giving more in-depth but still gentle introductions to the discussed topics. I'd be happy about any suggestions.
- There is a layout problem with the two-column examples starting on p.20 which I didn't solve so far.
- Maybe it would make sense to consider this paper as the first chapter of a more in-depth document that really introduces to the different aspects of our business. (As an example a good complement would be an essay on 'versioning LilyPond files'). Would you also think that makes sense? I would be happy to accept any contributions of complete chapters/parts.

Maybe it makes sense to somewhat reduce the traffic on this list.
So if you have comments that aren't really of general interest, such as specific errors, linguistic suggestions etc. feel free to mail me privately, open issues at https://github.com/openlilylib/tutorials/issues or fork the repository and send me pull requests
(The document is located at https://github.com/openlilylib/tutorials/tree/master/uLiska/plaintext, but be aware that there are some dependencies for compiling the document that aren't documented yet, specifically you have to have the 'musicexamples', 'lilyglyphs' and 'base' stuff which you can get at the same place)

TIA for any efforts
Urs