Re: intractable collision of arpeggio and rest

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: intractable collision of arpeggio and rest
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 10:06:16 +0200

Marc Hohl <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 22.05.2013 08:59, schrieb Tom Cloyd:
>> Running Lilypond 2.16.0 -
>>
>> 1. In the following 8 bar snippet, I am arpeggiating across the middle
>> and upper voices. The arpeggio is colliding with the rest that's in the
>> middle voice. I've tried about 9 ways and I cannot get the arpeggio in
>> the right place. It needs to make room for that rest. Nothing works. Any
>> ideas?
>
> The problem here with your file is that it cannot be compiled ...
> [...]
>> \include "_fingering-variables.ly" % variables needed to manage LH & RH
>> fingering efficiently
>
> ... because this file is missing.
>
> Generally, it is a good idea to try to boil the file down to the
> essential parts, one or two measures that show the problem should be
> sufficient. Longer files/attachmens seem to scare potential helpers
> away.

It's just a matter of efficiency.  To find the problem, you need to boil
down the code to the essential part anyway.  Not doing this in advance
is only efficient if the expected number of helpers is below 1 or if
their time is to be valued less than that of the person having the
problem.  But making it easy for people to help also makes it more
satisfying for them, so it is also an advantage for the long term.

--
David Kastrup