Re: Files from Lilypond workshop @ LAC 2013

From: luis jure
Subject: Re: Files from Lilypond workshop @ LAC 2013
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 19:15:18 -0300

on 2013-05-21 at 17:04 David Kastrup wrote:

> Sure, but I'm afraid that your perceived lack of precision is something
> that it is hard to find Florian at fault for since he is working with
> the terminology employed by LilyPond.

of course! it was not my intention to imply otherwise. what i was trying
to say was that using existing musical terminology to denote something
that's not quite the precise meaning, is a potential source of confusion.

> You might want to take a thorough look at the LilyPond manual and try
> whether you see a feasible strategy for amending what you see as a
> fault.

to be honest, i had never paid attention to this until today, when helge
pointed out the inconsistent use of the terms "note" and "pitch" in
florian's presentation (which, as you said, was just the consequence of
using lilypond's terminology, not florian's fault, of course).

it seems the terminology is now deeply ingrained in lilypond and in the
code itself, so it's not just a matter of modifying the manual here and
there. if the community (and as a user i consider myself part of it) is OK
with it, then fine. as i just said, it never bothered me.

i just think it's not ideal. and perhaps also not quite consistent with
lilypond's spirit of caring for perfection, beauty and correctness of
music notation, which is itself a manifestation of music theory and
musical thought.

best,

lj