footnote in markup within music expression

From: Gagi Petrovic
Subject: footnote in markup within music expression
Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 10:52:48 +0200

Dear Ponders, the LilyPond documentation on 2.16 gives roughly two options for implementing footnotes:

- in music expressions
- in stand-alone text

I can't find out though how to put footnotes in a text markup within a music _expression_.

So this works fine (footnote_standalone.pdf):
\book {
  \header { tagline = ##f }
  \markup {
    "A simple tune"
    \footnote "*" \italic "* By me"
    "is shown below."
  }
  \relative c' {
    a'4 b8 e c4 d

But this fails silently (footnote_asmarkup.pdf):
\book {
  \header { tagline = ##f }
  \relative c' {
    a'4 ^\markup {
       "A simple tune"
       \footnote "*" \italic "* By me"
       "is shown below."

     }   b8 e c4 d

Does anyone have some advice for me? I would appreciate it greatly.

Kind regards, Gagi