Re: how offsets and alignment works: an explanation

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: how offsets and alignment works: an explanation
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 18:55:53 +0100

> This is explained very concisely and without examples in the NR, see
> http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/notation/aligning-objects

I disagree. As an average user, I feel quite lost in this section
especially with the "two-dimensional" extents.

Some images and the explanation from Janek, what and where a reference
point is and how extents are defined, would help a lot here. A look at
that image tells you almost all you need to know about shifts and
reference points.

The CG is too far away from the normal user. I would only put the part
on scheme functions there.

»An image tells you more than a thousand words« is a German saying which
applies very well to this section, IMHO. But I think that lacks at many
places in the docs: images. They are very text-centred and sometimes an
image would be much quicke to understand than pages of text. This
particularly applies to spacing and positioning issues.

Cheers,
Joram