Re: multiple time signatures

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: multiple time signatures
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 16:23:35 -0000

When someone replies to you, they will almost certainly "reply all", which ensures that others on the list can see the reply.  Please do the same thing, so that everyone on the list can contribute.

As James pointed out, your initial version did not compile.  The one you sent to me subsequently also contained errors.  >From this you will see that Lily is very sensitive to getting the syntax right - particularly braces {} and brackets <>.  The key thing you were missing was the matched braces that enclose the music after the scaleDurations.  I also worked with a simplified version of your music, and would advise you to when you're trying to sort out what's gone wrong.  This works:

melody =
\relative c' {
  \clef treble
  \key g \major
  \time 12/8
  c4 c c c c c c c c c c c
}

upper =
\relative c' {
  \clef treble
  \key g \major
  \time 12/8
  \set Staff.timeSignatureFraction = 4/4
  \scaleDurations 3/2 {
  c4 c c c c c c c }
}

lower =
\relative c {
  \clef bass
  \key g \major
  \time 12/8
  \set Staff.timeSignatureFraction = 4/4
  \scaleDurations 3/2 {
  c4 c c c c c c c }
}

\score {
  <<
    \new Voice = "mel" { \autoBeamOff \melody }
    \new PianoStaff <<
      \new Staff = "upper" \upper
      \new Staff = "lower" \lower

Phil Holmes