Re: 19th-cent. accidental notation

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: 19th-cent. accidental notation
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 00:44:36 +0100

On Sun, 03 Mar 2013 13:02:44 +0100
Luca Rossetto Casel <address@hidden> wrote:

> Il 20/02/2013 10:33, Urs Liska ha scritto:
> > Yes, but it really isn't possible to make it perfect in the sense that
> > it suits every possible use case.
>
> Dear Urs, please forgive me for replying so late - I spent the last days
> in bed with a severe flu. I agree with all you wrote: making an edition
> is always a compromise, I think we have to choose _what_ to show, _what_
> to put in evidence from case to case.
>
> >> THe approach you describe here is the one I personally chose for my
> >> edition. By the way, I also managed - I think - to print smaller, but
> >> distinguable, scripts quite well! I slightly increased their distance
> >> from the noteheads to give the scripts a clearly, more visible
> >> appearence; I also adopted a quite large spacing to make all as clear
> >> as possible, even with a quite small font.
> > Would you mind sending me a screenshot of an example?
>
> Sure! I attached a page from my score - I hope this will not disturb
> anyone on the list.
Thanks, but unfortunately the resolution isn't good enough to see anything
useful.
Maybe better a small excerpt of a page but with bigger resolution?

> >> [...] Providing the edition in a digital format, as an interactive
> >> pdf (or other), it would be possible display the variants of all the
> >> adopted sources on our score, making every change visible.
> >> [...]
> > There actually _are_ such ideas and attempts.
> > At least the Reger Edition has already started publishing digital
> > editions. And there is more research going on.
>
> I'm happy to read this. I was aware of the Mozart edition on line, but
> not of the Reger. It would be great if they adopt an 'interactive'
> approach...
I haven't seen one in reality, but I just happen to have talked about it with
my Ph.D. advisor who is one of the project leaders of the Reger edition.
He told me that there is a printed volume and an accompanying DVD. This DVD
contains all relevant (i.e. used) sources in the best available resolution. If
I have understood correctly you can for example have a split screen with one
window showing the 'new edition', while the others show the sources, all of
them in sync.
I think that sounds quite promising ;-)
So while musicologists usually aren't the technologica spearhead, one can
expect more developments to come in this area.

Best
Urs