Re: Newbie: Setting music, verses, music, verses

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Newbie: Setting music, verses, music, verses
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2013 16:48:02 +0100

Kevin Zembower <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello. I'm trying to set a congregational handout for liturgical music.
>
> The appearance I want for one piece of the music is:
>   Refrain: music and lyrics
>   Verses: text-only verses 1-3 in three columns
>   Music and lyrics
>   Verse 4, text only
>
> Right now, I'm able to achieve this with:
>   \score section combining music and lyrics
>   \markup \fill-line \column with verses 1-3
>   \score section combining the second music and lyrics part
>   \markup \column section with verse 4 text
>
> I'd like to improve this in two ways:
>
> 1. Conceptually, I don't think this is the way it should be done. I'm
> guessing that this should all be in one \score.
>
> 2. Appearance-wise, the second piece of music starts with a time
> signature and is indented. I think that this is a consequence of the
> second \score section. I would like for this not to occur.
>
> Sorry for not posting a working example. The music is copyrighted, and
> I'm concerned about violating the copyright. I didn't see how I could
> reduce it substantially and still illustrate the problem.

Well, everyone who wants to help you now has to think up a complete
example on his own.

When is this more efficient in total effort than you yourself concocting
an artificial example?  When the expected number of answers is less than
one.  Namely when you consider it more likely that nobody answers than
you consider it likely that more than one person would try helping.

Now let's just consider the case that a single person would be willing
to help you.  Why should he invest more effort than you?

--
David Kastrup