UTF-8 error

From: Martin Tarenskeen
Subject: UTF-8 error
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 11:28:53 +0100 (CET)

This is supposed to be a reply to the posting about UTF-8 encoding and/or lilypond problems. Unfortunately I deleted the original thread.

I want to reply to the message that had a test.zip attached including a problematic(?) test.ly tiny example and a bad(?) test.pdf file.

I am running Fedora 18 and use lilypond 2.16.2

I can confirm:
1. The test.pdf in the zip is bad, and cannot be loaded in (for example) evince
2. If I check in my terminal:
        file test.ly
   This is returned:
        test.ly: UTF-8 Unicode text
   look fine to me.

But:

if I do:
        lilypond test.ly
I am getting a test.pdf that is loaded and displayed just fine in Evince.
Starting from the terminal I do see some strange messages:

Entity: line 10: parser error : Input is not proper UTF-8, indicate encoding !
format='application/pdf'><dc:title><rdf:Alt><rdf:li xml:lang='x-default'>Lettre
                                                                               ^
I decided to try something else (maybe this works on your system too?)
        lilypond --ps test.ly
        ps2pdf test.ps test.pdf
        ps2pdf12 test.ps test12.pdf
        ps2pdf13 test.ps test13.pdf
        ps2pdf14 test.ps test14.pdf

The files test.pdf and test14.pdf are displayed correctly, but produce the error messages in my terminal

The files test12.pdf and test13.pdf are displayed WITHOUT these error messages. This looks like a ghostscript problem. Is this the issue that is fixed in the new upstream versions?

Maybe this adds some info to the discussion.
Sorry for leaving the original thread. Please edit the Subject: field when replying, to get this back in the original thread.

--

MT