Re: 19th-cent. accidental notation

From: Luca Rossetto Casel
Subject: Re: 19th-cent. accidental notation
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 03:17:45 +0100

Il 17/02/2013 19:10, Joseph Rushton Wakeling ha scritto:
On 02/17/2013 04:48 PM, Luca Rossetto Casel wrote:
In present editions, this notation is generally uniformed to the modern one -
eventually putting the added alterations in parentheses or brackets.

Is this really a case where brackets would be used? The typical reason for inserting a bracketed accidental would be a case where the accidental is missing in all sources, but musical context makes it almost certain that the accidental should be there.

Yes, in most cases brackets are indeed unnecessary. But I know some over-accurate editions that aim to reproduce the original text as faithfully as possible, giving evidence to every critical intervention - for example, the Ricordi critical edition of Verdi's works. I was also thinking of doubtful cases I found in certain - particularly inaccurate! - 18th century manuscripts, where accidentals (as been as continuo numbers, and many other elements...) are often lacking at all!

    Luca

--
Caselle da 1GB, trasmetti allegati fino a 3GB e in piu' IMAP, POP3 e SMTP
autenticato? GRATIS solo con Email.it http://www.email.it/f

Sponsor:
Ami l'arte e vuoi arredare casa con stile? Su MisterCupido.com puoi acquistare
le RIPRODUZIONI DEI QUADRI di: Van Gogh, Monet, Klimt, Modigliani, Cezanne,
Hayez, Michelangelo, Raffaello, ecc
Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=12386&d=18-2