Re: do-do-do-do-do-dots

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: do-do-do-do-do-dots
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 15:43:29 -0600

Werner,

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 3:09 PM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

Folks,

I can't believe that the number of dots is correct in this chord :-)

  \relative c' {
    <d e f g a b c d e f g>2.
  }

Does Gould or someone else have a rule for that?  Or does someone
probably know a piano score which contains similar chords?

I think that dots which have too large a distance from the top or
bottom of a chord should be dropped.  In the attached image, five dots
should thus be suppressed.

Gould has a rule for these.  She says (p. 56) that in cases where a dot would need to be two or more staff spaces away from the chord, you only need to use enough dots to cover the number of spaces taken up by the chord.

You can see several examples in Ives's "Majority," the first song of the 114 Songs, which is available on IMSLP. (Don't think I ought to add a clip to this email as it's probably not public domain everywhere.)

Best,
David