Re: giving MetronomeMarks the space they need

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: giving MetronomeMarks the space they need
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2013 11:29:07 -0800

On Sat, 09 Feb 2013 05:30:26 -0800, Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:

Um… why? In what universe would that be a good thing????

By putting this into "real music", I see why the default is a good thing… This
override
is ONLY useful when the music it precedes is a multi-measure rest — with notes,
it wreaks
havoc with the spacing. For example, here's the opening bar of my cello part
with this
override in place:

I have had better luck.  Maybe you're not holding your tongue right.

The general idea is that LilyPond figures the space needed by each note-column
by spreading the music on a very long line, and then noting what hits as the
music moves tighter.  The outside-staff items are close to the staff at this
step, often closer than they need to be.

We can ask LilyPond to shift tempo indications up three spaces, just for the
horizontal spacing step.

\relative f {
  \override Score.MetronomeMark #'extra-spacing-width = #'(0 . 1)
  \override Score.MetronomeMark #'extra-spacing-height = #'(3 . 3)
  \override Score.MetronomeMark #'non-break-align-symbols =  % fix issue 1263
     #'( note-column-interface   multi-measure-rest-interface)
  \compressFullBarRests
  \time 3/4 \key a\major \tempo "Larghissimo" c''4 g'( c)
  \tempo "Più mosso" R2.*8
  \tempo "Meno mosso" c,4 e c'
  \tempo "Molto adagio" R2.*8 }

The 'extra-spacing-* properties adjust the bounds of the objects for the
horizontal spacing step only.