Re: Transposing instruments

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Transposing instruments
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 03:22:36 +0000 (UTC)

Guy Stalnaker <jimmyg521 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks everyone who replied. I understand the relationship between
>  /transpose and /transposition now. FYI the proper commands that produce
> the expected outcome is:
>
> /transpose f c' {
>   /transposition c { %{ music in concert pitch ... %}
>   }
> }

A bit too late, I'll suggest to reverse the order
 {\transposition f \transpose f c' {  %{ music in concert pitch ... %} } }

because there is a bug report
<http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=754>
making a good argument for changing what your input would do.

The statement  "\transposition f"  tells LilyPond "the following music is
written for an instrument where written middle C sounds as F".

If you apply \transpose f c' {}  to such a statement, LilyPond currently
understands that you are going from one instrument to another, but the
documentation says that \transposition sets the transposition interval
once and for all, which would be simpler to understand.

I use the order that I suggested above, to avoid the complication.