Re: Woodwind Fingering diagrams problem

From: Wim van Dommelen
Subject: Re: Woodwind Fingering diagrams problem
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 19:06:00 +0100

On 31 Jan 2013, at 17:48 , Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:

On 01/30/2013 09:42 AM, Wim van Dommelen wrote:
That is why the "low-bass-clarinet" stencil exists. That is (as I reverse engineer it) intended for bass-clarinet toward low-C (the concert model) whereas
the "bass-clarinet" is the low-Ees (streetmodel).

Well, my point is that "low-bass-clarinet" doesn't necessarily cut it, because you have multiple different extended members of the clarinet family, and even within the same manufacturer, their fingering systems vary.
True.

For example: going by the images and information on the Buffet Crampon website, their basset horn comes with an alternate left hand Ab/Eb key; their basset clarinet doesn't. I also suspect that their basset clarinet has only one thumb key (for low C) while their basset horn and low-C bass may have more.

So, if we're REALLY going to ensure that diagrams are accurate, then we probably need to do a careful survey of the fingering mechanisms for basset clarinets, basset horns, and low-C bass, contra-alto and contrabass clarinets, for each of the main manufacturers (Buffet, Selmer, Leblanc, Yamaha).
That would necessarily involve a diagrams for each brand/model combination ? Otherwise it would be a nightmare to control which key to show and which not.

And to do it so others really can follow it we should name it accordingly, e.g.: "Selmer-Privilege-low-C".

Ia there any rule in using Trademarks and mentioning these in the documentation? This could open up a quagmire because several models of regular clarinets also have key additions....

I think it's probably sane to limit ourselves to current models -- to try and address the past would be to open a huge can of worms -- but even with this limit, there's a fair number of different diagrams to potentially cope with.
Yeah, let's keep it simple to start with.

In any case, at a minimum you need 3 different diagrams:

   -- regular clarinet (to low E)
Boehm, I presume? Currently diagram "clarinet". Not adjusted for brand/ models, just fairly generic.

   -- full Boehm (to low Eb)
Currently diagram "bass-clarinet". Idem.

   -- extended (to low C)
Diagram "low-bass-clarinet". Idem.

... and that's before you even think of trying to support Oehler- system instruments.
Not to think of Albert type instruments (including the (Oehler?) and the variations there..... :-(

I'll get that scan this weekend.
Marvellous.

Regards,
Wim.