Re: Syntax for make-dynamic-script

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Syntax for make-dynamic-script
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 11:19:11 +0100

Colin Hall <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup writes:
>
>> Colin Hall <address@hidden> writes:

>>> attached-to-notes#index-DynamicText

>>> Thanks for your help with this, David, it looks like
>>> Richard is able to engrave his music.
>>>
>>> Could you give me some advice on forming a good
>>> documentation enhancement tracker for
>>> the "$(" syntax? Perhaps there's a description
>>> in a commit that I can use.
>>
>> Well, I have been thinking a bit about it.  When using music via #...,
>> the music really needs to be constructed for single use and not used
>> somewhere else.
>
> It would be great to sort that out, but there is a more fundamental
> problem that I'd like to address.
>
> The presence of the $(..$) syntax is undocumented and I would like to
> create a tracker to capture that fact.

Huh.

<URL:http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/extending/lilypond-scheme-syntax>

<URL:http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/extending/importing-scheme-in-lilypond>

And it's not like those are not listed in the index:

<URL:http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/extending/lilypond-index>

> I have looked for a mention of it in the source for the parser, the
> issue tracker and the commit history, all to no avail.

Huh.  We _do_ have actual documentation, not just information that can
be tracked by experienced programmers.

But then it seemed easy enough to find
<URL:http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=2024> which
streamlined $ behavior inside and outside of #{ ... #} (it was
previously only available inside, and with strange semantics).

And that includes documentation.

> Can you please supply some information for this feature, which I
> believe you introduced, so that it can be documented.

Perhaps you should explain what is wrong with the existing
documentation.

--
David Kastrup