Re: Version Control and Public Repository

From: Stjepan Horvat
Subject: Re: Version Control and Public Repository
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 08:58:38 +0100

Now thats a useful information..i will ask a lawyer here in croatia and report what i heard.

On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 7:33 PM, martinwguy <address@hidden> wrote:
On 11 November 2012 18:39, Francisco Vila <address@hidden> wrote:
>> and i transcribed (by ear) many scores i don't have rights for..
>>
>> how do you handle this kind of staff..
>> What are the laws related to such situations?!
>
> I think copyright laws are clear, regardless of whether you
> transcribed it by ear or photocopied it, you can not publish material
> you don't own the rights of.

That's a simplistic play-it-safe position, but in reality copyright
laws are different in every country and cover different situations in
different ways.

The term for derivative works of music that do not directly reuse
another person's performance, which includes cover versions and new
typesettings of sheet music, is "Mechanical license" and in the US you
have the right to do this, whether or not the owner of the copyright
of the original score or of a particular performance want you to or
not, on payment of a small fee that is calculateda according to some
tables ($15 per song + a cut of the profits, if any), managed through
a central agency.

In other legal giurisdictions, different laws apply.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanical_license for further details.

No, I'm not a lawyer either.

--
Nesmotren govori kao da mačem probada, a jezik je mudrih iscjeljenje. Izreke 12:18