Re: Lilypond in path on Windows?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Lilypond in path on Windows?
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2012 10:45:43 +0100

Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 10:26 AM, Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>     commit 917dab12e7a838f1f153e7c57fb921c0b19b9bc2
>>     Author: Phil Holmes <address@hidden>
>>     Date:   Fri Jan 6 17:23:15 2012 +0000
>>
>>         Stops Windows PATH being changed
>>
>> Such messages, and this one in particular can annoy me immensly.
>> If I want to know WHAT happened, I look at the diff.  A commit
>> should give a reason WHY, and IWBN if it mentioned the bug
>> that was closed by the commit, with an url, too.
>
> i suppose relevant issue is here
> http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=1948

I usually try to remember when pushing changes to do one

git commit --amend

for the sake of adding "Issue xxxx: " in front of the commit message.  I
don't think many other bother, and my own success rate is probably below
70%.

However, feeding the first line into the search for the issue tracker
(remember to search all and not just the open issues) tends to turn up
the issue number.

Of course, our commit history should be able to tell enough of the story
without needing to consult the issue tracker.

It is even worse that people consider the issue tracker and/or Rietveld
a suitable substitute for code comments.

--
David Kastrup