Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 119, Issue 90

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 119, Issue 90
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 18:37:55 -0500

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 6:13 PM, Thomas Morley
<address@hidden> wrote:

>> Also: rather than simply translating the dashed-line stencil command,
>> it might be nice to ensure that you can't get that ugly dot at the end
>> of the line or having it end with a space.when you haven't guessed the
>> right on/off combination,
>
> Well, perhaps I'm lazy, but I'd let it to the user finding appropriate values.

Really :(   I have terrible memories of making scores with Finale.
According to the screen, the line ending would be perfect.  On the
printout, there would be that snipped-off line.

> Currently the TextSpanner uses 'dashed-line as a style-property.
> If I force strange 'dash-period-'dash-fraction-values the out put will
> be bad, too:
>
> \relative c'' {
>         \override TextSpanner #'style = #'dashed-line
>   \override TextSpanner #'(bound-details left text) =
>     \markup { \draw-line #'(0 . 1) }
>   \override TextSpanner #'(bound-details right text) =
>     \markup { \draw-line #'(0 . 1) }
>
>   \override TextSpanner #'dash-period = #8
>   \override TextSpanner #'dash-fraction = #0.5
>
>   a4 \startTextSpan
>   b4 c
>   a4 \stopTextSpan
> }

That's true.

Just a thought:  Maybe there should be a make-dashed-line-stencil
function in scm/stencil.scm, which is called by \draw-dashed-line.  It
would be very similar to make-line-stencil.  In my haste the other
day, I added all sorts of extra variables when I did this.  I like the
way you handle this better.

> Once the patch is on Rietveld, it will be reviewed, so let's see what happens.

OK. Sounds good!

-David