Re: Hairpins

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Hairpins
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 09:48:50 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Reinhold Kainhofer" <address@hidden>
To: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, October 21, 2012 7:03 PM

On 2012-10-21 18:04, David Kastrup wrote:> "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

>> Apart from using parallel spacer rests, is there any way to make a
>> hairpin only one note long?
>
> You don't mean \accent?

I think he really means a decrescenco hairpin on one note (which obviously cannot be found in piano music, but is quite common in vocal or string music).

I.e. something like (in these examples, the measures are quite short, in reality, these measures in the scores take at least twice the horizontal space as these examples do):

\new Voice \relative c'' { << { c1 } { s2\> s\!} >> }

or:

\new Voice \relative c'' { << { c1 } { s2 s4..\> s16\!} >> }

or even (and no, this is NOT the \expressivo articulation):

\new Voice \relative c'' { << { c1 } { s2\< s4..\> s16\! } >> }

Cheers,
Reinhold

Thanks, Reinhold. TBH this is what I was concerned about. My main method of generating lilypond music is by converting from a GUI editor - Noteworthy. Managing a conversion process which says "ah - the hairpin is only one note long so we need to mess about with a load of parallel music and sub-note value spacers" is not the easiest thing to do. Shame lilypond does not support such a common notation with a simple mechanism.

--
Phil Holmes