Re: evince handling textedit://

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: evince handling textedit://
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2012 12:06:24 -0400

    Stjepan> did you put the put the textedit-url.sh in your $PATH..
    Stjepan> sudo cp ./textedit-url.sh /usr/bin/
    Stjepan> sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/textedit-url.sh

$ ls -l ~/bin/textedit-url.sh
-rwxrwxr-x 1 lconrad lconrad 1385 Oct  9 10:40 /home/lconrad/bin/textedit-url.sh
$ which textedit-url.sh
/home/lconrad/bin/textedit-url.sh
$

    Stjepan> and put the textedit.desktop in
    Stjepan> ~/.local/share/applications/

I have now.

$ ls -l ~/.local/share/applications/textedit.desktop
-rw-rw-r-- 1 lconrad lconrad 129 Oct  9 11:51
/home/lconrad/.local/share/applications/textedit.desktop
$

    Stjepan> and add the line x-scheme-handler/textedit=textedit.desktop; in

    Stjepan> gedit ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list

    Stjepan> in section [Added Associations]..

tail ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list
[Added Associations]
x-scheme-handler/file=exo-file-manager.desktop
x-scheme-handler/trash=exo-file-manager.desktop
x-scheme-handler/textedit=textedit.desktop
$

I'm doing this in two different user accounts, and the one I actually
want to use is still giving me the red box, but the other one now gives
me a message in the terminal:

/home/lconrad/bin/textedit-url.sh: 12: /home/lconrad/bin/textedit-url.sh: Bad
substitution

and in textedit_url.log, I have:

tail -f ~/textedit_url.log
textedit:///home/newlily/music/ruffo/perfidioso/cantusnotes.ly:3:10:10

Which I assume is the kind of thing we want to see.

I notice that the red box in the publishing user says "Operation not
supported" rather than "The specified location is not supported".

--
Laura   (mailto:address@hidden, twitter: @serpentplayer)
(617) 661-8097  233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

And now in this the twentieth century come these talking and playing
machines and offer again to reduce the expression of music to a
mathematical system of megaphones, wheels, cogs, disks, cylinders, and
all manner of revolving things which are as like real art as the
marble statue of Eve is like her beautiful living breathing daughters.

Under such conditions, the tide of amateurism cannot but recede until
there will be left only the mechanical device and the professional
executant. Singing will no longer be a fine accomplishment; vocal
exercises so important a factor in the curriculum of physical culture
will be out of vogue. Then what of the national throat? Will it not
weaken? What of the national chest? Will it not shrink?

John Philip Souza, "The Menace of Mechanical Music", in Appleton's
Magazine, 1906