Re: combining pieces in one book

From: Christopher R. Maden
Subject: Re: combining pieces in one book
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 10:25:33 -0400

On 06/23/2012 09:53 AM, "Dr. med. Kai Lautenschläger" wrote:
> I have many pieces for male choir, that are stored as .ly-files in a
> directory with a subdirectory for every piece. All of them use some
> files via \include command. Those files are situated in the parent
> directory.
>
> Now I would like to make a book (one PDF with TOC and numbered pages)
> from several of these pieces. And - to make it more complicated -
> this book changes in content (the .ly-files are the repertoire, book
> will be the selection for any given concert.
>
> I am searching for a solution to _easily_ make those books without
> working on the pieces-files. Using \bookpart gave a great number of
> errors and didn't compile. Can anyone give me a starter, how to go
> about this?

As best I can tell, you need to structure things carefully to make this
work.  This may mean that you will need to do a one-time edit on the
pieces themselves.

1) Music content with no \score.

2) Individual layout pieces: \include the music content and have a \score.

3) Book file, \includes each piece of music, uses \bookpart if you like
and \score.

I automate this to some degree by pulling out paper and other common
definitions, e.g.:

=-=-=-=-=

wind_barley_tune.ly:

\windBarleyLayout = \new Staff << ... >>
\windBarleyTitle = "The Wind That Shakes the Barley"

=-=-=-=-=

tunes.ly:

\paper { ... }
\header { title = \theTitle }
\score { \theLayout \layout {} }

=-=-=-=-=

wind_barley.ly:

\include "wind_barley_tune.ly"
theLayout = \windBarleyLayout
theTitle = \windBarleyTitle
\include "tunes.ly"

=-=-=-=-=

crism_tunes.ly:

\paper { ... }
\header { ... }
\include "musical_priest_tune.ly"
\include "wind_barley_tune.ly"
\score { \musPriestLayout \layout {} }
\score { \windBarleyLayout \layout {} }

=-=-=-=-=

~Chris
LIVE FREE: vote for Gary Johnson, Libertarian for President.
GnuPG fingerprint: DB08 CF6C 2583 7F55 3BE9  A210 4A51 DBAC 5C5C 3D5E