Re: Opening parentheses in lyrics don't appear

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Opening parentheses in lyrics don't appear
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 14:46:31 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Philip Thomas" <address@hidden>
To: "'Phil Holmes'" <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, June 11, 2012 2:33 PM

-----Original Message-----
From: Phil Holmes [mailto:address@hidden
Sent: Monday 11 June 2012 15:13
To: Philip Thomas; address@hidden

----- Original Message -----
From: "Philip Thomas" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, June 11, 2012 2:04 PM
Subject: Opening parentheses in lyrics don't appear

Dear fellow-users,

I'm working on a vocal piece in which some lyrics are in parentheses,
but
the opening parentheses don't appear in the output PDF file. The
closing
parentheses are fine. By way of example, here's a couple of bars from
the
piece:

================

\version "2.14.2"

\relative c'

<<
\new Voice = "melody" {
 \time 12/8
 fis2.( f |
 a4.) a4 g8 g4 f8 f4. |
}
\new Lyrics \lyricsto "melody" {
 blue __ (oo -- by -- doo -- by -- doo)
}

================

I have looked but haven't succeeded in finding a reference to this in
the
documentation or on the forum, but at this stage I don't feel
confident in
reporting it as a bug. Any advice would be appreciated. Apologies, as
usual,
if I've missed an existing solution or explanation.

BTW, I know that I can solve the problem with a work-around, e.g.
enclosing
the syllable concerned in quotes as "(oo" produces the correct result,
but
it's not a very elegant solution, especially for repeated instances.

I found I had to use the "(word" solution - I use a regex in my
application
that creates lilypond code to do just this.

--
Phil Holmes

Thanks Phil,

Especially for a reply within minutes, if not mere seconds, from when I
posed the question!

Not quite the reply I was hoping for, but at least it suggests that I'm not
barking up the wrong tree completely.

(If I were game enough, I might admit that when I first glanced at your
reference to the "(word" solution, I took you to mean MS Word, which can be
quite handy, using macros, in working on .ly text files to do this sort of
task. But I'm not game enough.)

If other experienced users have encountered the same problem with opening
parentheses in lyrics, this seems to me to be significant enough to be
reported as a bug, but I'm not experienced in reporting "real" bugs as
distinct from apparent errors in the documentation. Would that be making a
mountain of a molehill?

Cheers, Philip

It was mentioned in earlier emails (as in lots of years ago) as a possible bug, since you can't have slurs in lyrics. I think I'll send a report to the bugs group.

--
Phil Holmes