Re: Transposing instruments

From: Helge Kruse
Subject: Re: Transposing instruments
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 08:12:20 +0200

Am 07.06.2012 17:23, schrieb Gilles Sadowski:
besides some other voices. I know the name "Clarinet in B" but

Likely, this should have been "Clarinet in Bb" where the small "b" is for
"flat" (i.e. a clarinet in B flat, where a "c" on the clarinet will sound
as "b flat" in concert pitch).

You're right. It's designated with "Klarinette in B" what is "Clarinet in Bb". That's my mistake.

Assuming that "clarinetNotes" contains the notes:
If the part contains the notes in _concert_ pitch, you use the:

      \transposition bes {% make MIDI sound right
        \transpose bes c { % transpose to clarinet notation
          <<
            \global
            \clarinetNotes

If the part contains the notes as transposed for clarinet, you use:

     \transposition bes { % make MIDI sound right
       \transpose bes c { % transpose to clarinet notation
          <<
            \global
            \transpose c bes { % transpose to concert pitch
             \clarinetNotes

and the MIDI will sound OK while the PDF will show the part transposed for
clarinet.
[In the above, "\global" contains e.g. the actual "\key" (i.e. in concert
pitch). For example, if the piece is in G minor, the part for clarinet in Bb
will be written in A minor.]

With Davids' hint I found a way to do this with much less coding. I write the score as it should look in the score (A minor). When I add the \transposition I get for the sample below following MIDI output:
Oboe: d, Clarinet: bes, French horn: g

oboe      = \relative c'' { \key g \minor      d16 d8. ~ d4 }
clarinetB = \relative c'' { \transposition bes c16 c8. ~ c4 }
hornF     = \relative c'' { \transposition f   d16 d8. ~ d4 }

\score
{
  <<
    \new Staff \with { midiInstrument="oboe"        } { \oboe }
    \new Staff \with { midiInstrument="clarinet"    } { \clarinetB }
    \new Staff \with { midiInstrument="french horn" } { \hornF }

  \layout {}
  \midi {}
}

I think this is straight forward as the \transposition affects the MIDI output only. And: it's well documented, I must admit.
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/notation/displaying-pitches#instrument-transpositions

Regards
Helge