Re: Lilypond source code indenter and formatter

From: Colin Hall
Subject: Re: Lilypond source code indenter and formatter
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 14:08:25 +0100

On Thu, Jun 07, 2012 at 01:36:27PM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
> Just as a minor anecdote: my recent issue 2584 work starts like the
> following in git:
>
> commit 76eeafd00669ac2b3eac1fa325a9a50a46bf8faf
> Author: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
> Date:   Wed Jun 6 13:12:38 2012 +0200
>
>     Revert "Allow multiple identical slurs (issue 1967)"
>
>     This reverts commit b986b38f14195f31e26b0a929c8ac23a8ecfc204.
>
>     Conflicts:
>
>         lily/slur-engraver.cc
>
> The "conflicts" line is a run of astyle that needed manual resolution.
> It was just a few lines in this case, but since you don't really have a
> three-way diff available for conflict resolution, it took half an hour
> to make sure that the state was corresponding to the original.

Not pleasant. You have my sympathy.

Next time, just checkout copies of the conflicting files, run them
both through astyle, and the remaining diffs are your changes. No
changes? Then it was all formatting and you can confidently revert it.

> When you have a case where not just a few lines but whole passages
> got reindented, doing that kind of work is decidedly unfunny.

Absolutely. There's no benefit unless it is used rigorously.

Cheers,
Colin.

--

Colin Hall