Workflow/Toolchain for final final touches

From: Nils
Subject: Workflow/Toolchain for final final touches
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 16:33:13 +0200

Hello,

a few days ago two deals with my publisher were called off. Including anger,
insults (on his part) and the promise to never work together again.

Mainly the cause were disagreements how a good score looks. You may remember a
few strange questions from me on this list in the last weeks and months. One
example was, that the pub. wanted ties to be indistinguishable from slurs.

One reason this went horrible down the toilet was that I am not a notation
professional (in the classical, traditional sense that I learned to do it
manually. I don't mean the so called professional as in uses Finale to publish
@ Bärenreiter) but also that he isn't one but uses Coral Draw(!) to make his
own notes.  Needless to say this takes a huge amount of time and the
self-taught approach led to a style which is sometimes nice to look at, but
only suited for excerpts and examples in music theory books. I don't think he
ever produced a score longer than two A4 pages.

So what he complained constantly about was that I am not able to move
individual items pixel-wise around the screen.

I can see the appeal to post-process otherwise finished scores to make last
minute adjustments. A common example was moving one barline two pixels or so to
the left/right but leave all other barlines were they are. Most of these
adjustments are related to his false knowledge of music notation and his
position to abuse his view, but maybe I had got my money anyway if I knew how
to do it, no matter how ugly the results.

When converted to pdf (or ps? or svg?) can I load the whole score in Inkscape
(I don't think so, I have tried it) or some other postscript or vector editor
so that I can do this kind of stuff?

Nils