Re: Appreciation / Financial support

From: Henning Hraban Ramm
Subject: Re: Appreciation / Financial support
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 22:30:21 +0200

Am 2012-05-30 um 21:35 schrieb Bernardo Barros:

On 05/30/2012 09:14 AM, Bernardo Barros wrote:
Not
sure about the user base, but it is growing fast.

it seems some very motivated guy started a implementation of TeX in
Haskell. It says it already does math formulas and footnotes. Maybe he
is just crazy.

 https://github.com/luispedro/hex

He says he is trying to achieve ``better scripting, faster, use of
multi-core[...]''

Great, if it actually works. (AFAIK there’s also a implementation of certain parts of TeX in JavaScript...)

On TeX mailing lists we frequently hear ideas of parallelizing (multi- threading) of TeX tasks. The wizards tell us, most of the processing would be unsuitable for parallelizing, because every bit of layout is depending on the previous. (Thus, luispedro’s #3, #4, #10 would be impossible to do.)

Some lunatics ;-) spent a lot of effort re-implementing TeX in Java, that was called "NTS" (new typsetting system); they stopped after implementing TeX compatibility (alias "OTS" = old ts. system). I heard it was sluggish and ugly, but the team found the last bugs in TeX and immediately started the development of LuaTeX, that’s still in development but already a big success. (It also includes MetaPost as a library, thus inlining MP graphics processing.)

Greetlings, Hraban