Re: Appreciation / Financial support

From: John David Duncan
Subject: Re: Appreciation / Financial support
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 13:53:37 -0700

and so on. The more complicated the incantations are, the easier it is to get them wrong the harder it is to debug and the longer it takes to write.

A lot of the complexity is because the scripting language is Scheme, a
variant of LISP. Even for somebody like me, who has been writing
programs for over 40 years, that syntax can be extremely bizarre.

And terrifying if one has parenthetophobia.

Someone could fork lilypond, replace guile with Google v8, and replace all of the scheme with javascript (via automated code translation). JS is at this point the world's most-known programming language, and v8 will run it at the speed of native code.

It's a big project.  I personally don't think it's worth the effort.

A higher priority, I think, is the ability to "render and replace" individual measures and pages. Because that's what it takes to really support a GUI input environment.