Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 114, Issue 130

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 114, Issue 130
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 09:07:59 +0200

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 8:36 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> The amazing thing is rather that in the last three months, my finances
> have not taken a further dive and this looks like it _could_ end up
> sustainable.

That's good news!  I was afraid that this month would be a problem.

> I am not saying that I consider this unethical: that would be a stretch.
> The source is available under the GPL.  And the developer has a target
> of US$54k per year, $4500 per month, and comes close.  That's not really
> excessive, and Ardour is a large application, and Paul Davis _does_ the
> bulk of the design.  And his way of addressing contributors has a chance
> to address a lot of otherwise passive users for small contributions.
>
> Which is where I would like to head eventually.  Just not in that
> manner.

When the money donated to you will come close to exceeding your needs,
we could indeed think about some kind of organised funding.
Two simple ideas:
- public sponsorship: everyone that donates more than $x is listed on
the website
- paid support: in addition to already great support on -user, we
could provide guaranteed support (e.g. within 2-3 days of question)
for $x/month - if we find people interested in providing such support,
of course.

cheers,
Janek